Public Services (Uniformed) BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
Is this course for me?
This academic two year course will provide students with working knowledge of variety of public services and inform them of the employment opportunities available. It will be of particular interest to individuals who wish to enter and pursue a career in the Police Service, the Fire & Rescue Service, the Ambulance Service, the Armed Forces, Prison and Security Services or HM Customs and Excise.
The National Diploma is also excellent preparation for those who wish to pursue higher education.
Five GCSEs at C or above, including Maths/English* and other appropriate subjects. An interest in the work of public services is also essential.
(* must have C in one subject and no less than a D in the other)
Assessment is continuous and you will complete a variety of assignments that will assess different skills. These will take the form of presentations, reports, essays or interviews. Each unit studied will be graded as Pass, Merit or Distinction.
Students will also have the opportunity to get involved in various trips and visits and experience guest speakers. These generally include: a residential; a visit to HM Customs and Excise, Liverpool; outdoor and taster days at various public services locations, including RAF Leeming and Lancaster Army barracks. There are opportunities to be event stewards for the College Award Evenings, Parents Evenings and Open Days.
1. Government policies and the public services
2. Team leadership in the uniformed services
3. Citizenship and contemporary issues
4. Team development
5. Understanding discipline within the uniformed services
6. Diversity and the public services
7. Physical preparation & fitness for the uniformed services
8. Crime & its effects on society
9. Command & control in the uniformed public services
10. Major incidents
11. Responding to emergency incidents
12. Uniformed public service employment
13. The criminal justice system and police powers
14. Understanding behaviour in public sector employment
15. International Perspectives
16. Custodial care of individuals
17. Expedition Skills
18. Understanding aspects of the legal system & law making process.
18 units are studied over two years – 9 in year 1 and 9 in year 2.
- Foundation Degree in Public Services
- BA (Hons) Criminology and Criminal Justice
- A university course of your choice
- Or move directly into public service employment.
This course is equivalent to 360 UCAS points giving you direct access to university.
Trips & visits
During the two years on the National Diploma in Public Services you will have the opportunity to visit a number of public service venues including: Mountain Rescue, Survivor Days, a residential, opportunities to spend the day with the Marines and/or the Army and RAF.
The purchase of a Public Services' jacket is essential as this is a Public Services (Uniformed) course.
Download the latest Course Leaflet here