Home > News & Events > Anna Selected for Team England Gold Coast 2018

Anna Selected for Team England Gold Coast 2018

Alumna Anna Hopkin has been selected to compete for England in April at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games! She will swim in the 4 x 100m relay.

Anna competed at the World University Games in Taipei in 2017 and is the current British Champion at 50m Freestyle. After graduating from Bath University she gained a scholarship to swim in America for the University of Arkansas and do a Masters Degree in Kinesiology.

“I’ve got my final exams and dissertation this summer but I’m sure I’ll be able to figure out how to fit it all in!” said Hopkin, who is supported in her dual careers by Team Bath partners MJ Church and a Thompson Education Trust scholarship.

“I found out I’d been selected the week before Christmas, which was a nice early present. I’ve only done the World University Games [WUGS] before in terms of big international competitions and this will be the first major senior team I’ll have been on, so it’s exciting.”

Hopkin, the reigning British and English 50m freestyle champion, has been picked for the relays but is hoping to race in the individual events too.

“I’ve never been to Australia before and it should be a great venue,” Hopkin added. “It was good to have WUGS last summer as that was my first time outside Europe, so I’ve had that experience of a long-haul flight and dealing with jetlag. Hopefully that will help.”

Getting back into her swimming career following her win at the British Colleges has definitely paid off!

More about Anna

Watch the Eurosport video about Anna

Follow Anna on Twitter

About Anna’s selection – Team Bath

The Team England Selection on British Swimming