Receptionist / Administration Assistant Apprentice
Business Administration Level 2 Apprentice
Longton Health Centre are looking for a business apprentice to assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional.
- Job Description
– Receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way.
– To promote the practice to ensure a consistent growth in list size.
– Provide general assistance to the practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person, via the telephone or via online.
– To provide point of contact for patients and act as a focal point of communication between patients, clinicians and other members of the Primary Health Care Team.
It is expected that you will conduct yourself in a motivated and respectable manner with tact, empathy and efficiency and is essential that you remain pleasant at all times.
Particular attention is drawn to the confidential nature of this post. All patient personal and clinical information must be held in the STRICTEST CONFIDENCE at all times.
• To gain a thorough knowledge of all Practice procedures.
• To work in accordance of written protocols
• Sorting and distributing incoming mail, ensuring individual correspondence is dealt with i.e. reports etc.
• Filing letters, notes / forms / results and maintaining patient records manually and electronically
• Processing online blood test forms
• Opening and distributing post
• Dealing appropriately with outgoing mail
• Fax, photocopy or scan as requested
• Checking in of patients and consulting with members of practice team
• Handing completed repeat prescriptions to patient ensuring verification of names, addresses and contact information
• Be able to assist and cover all reception positions as necessary
• Arrange domiciliary referrals via the computer system
• Process clinical assessment requests from patients by telephone and in person.
• Process home visit requests
• Registrations of new patients – computer data entry and medical records.
• Process patients’ change of address – computer data and medical records (local knowledge of practice area desirable)
• Process repeat prescription requests in accordance with practice guidelines
• Arrange domiciliary referrals via the computer system
• Have working knowledge of telephone system, during and after hours.
• Cover for reception when necessary
• Answering the telephone, taking messages and passing them on appropriately via Tasks on clinical system
– Other Tasks
• Ensure building security – have thorough knowledge of close down procedure
• Any other tasks allocated by Line Managers
• Maintaining confidentiality at all times.
• Receiving patients and visitors courteously and efficiently.
• Ensure consulting and waiting rooms are prepared in readiness for each consulting session.
• Book ambulances if necessary
• Liaise with hospitals, primary health care team, social services, etc.
• Computer data entry updating patient records, type referral letters etc.
• To keep a check on surgery supplies and equipment and inform practice manager / deputy manager / reception manager accordingly
• E learning training modules
• In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
• In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
• Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
Health & Safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
• Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
• Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
• Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
• Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
• Reporting potential risks identified.
Equality and Diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
• Acting in a way that recognises the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
• Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues at all times
• Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
- Personal Qualities
Friendly & Caring, able to show empathy
Excellent time keeper, enthusiastic and motivated
Forward thinking individual with a keen eye for detail
Team player but also able to work independently
- Qualifications Required
4 x GCSE A*-D /Grade 9-3 which must include GCSE English at Grade A*-C /Grade 9-4 and Maths at Grade A*-D /Grade 9-3 or equivalent.
- Future Prospects