Barbering Apprenticeship Level 3
If you are interested in cutting and styling men's and boys hair then an apprenticeship in barbering will equip you with the skills need to cut and style. You will learn about other important aspects relating to barbering such as hygiene, disposing of chemicals and working as a team.
You will work towards an Apprenticeship Framework at Level 3 consisting of:
- City & Guilds NVQ Level 3 in Barbering
- Functional Skills in maths and English at Level 2 – prior learning will be assessed
- Employment Rights & Responsibilities – this module will teach you about contracts of employment and other work related issues
- Personal, learning and thinking skills
In addition to individual certificates, on successful completion of all elements you will be awarded an Apprenticeship Framework Certificate.
Apprentices will be required to:
- wear a College uniform (provided by Runshaw Business Centre). They should have pride in their appearance, present themselves to the best of their ability and be aware that hairdressing is a fashion and service industry. Hair should be clean, presentable and well styled.
- purchase a basic kit and black ring binder/dividers to set up their portfolio. Appropriate text books are available for loan from the College library or for purchase.
You will need 4 GCSE passes at grade A*- D, including English and maths, or have successfully completed a Hairdressing /Barbering Apprenticeship at Level 2. You will also need to be employed in a barber shop/ salon that offers opportunities for you to complete all NVQ Level 3 units.
Please note: many employers prefer candidates to have a minimum of GCSE grade C in maths and English.
Apprentices will build a portfolio of evidence containing examples of work-based evidence and observations. This will confirm competence and knowledge. Each Apprentice will be elected a qualified work-based assessor from Runshaw Business Centre who will assess their practical skills and competence in the workplace. Following theory input in College, Apprentices will be required to complete assignments and tests.
There will be assignments and exams related to the Key Skills tests if required.
Employers must be prepared to work with their Apprentice to develop their knowledge and skills by providing a wide range of learning and training opportunities. They must also be prepared to allow them to attend College sessions at the agreed times. Employers are also expected to encourage Apprentices to research their chosen vocation and to support any work experience that will benefit the Apprentice.
This course will enable you to become a fully qualified advanced barber, working in a fast moving, ever changing industry. On completion of the course, and dependent on your job role and experience, progression could be to:
• Customer Service Level 3
• Team Leading Level 2 or Management Level 3
Runshaw Business Centre believes that attendance and punctuality are key factors in the timely success of an Apprenticeship. Apprentices are accepted on the basis that they will have a high level of attendance at College and in the workplace. Persistent or regular absenteeism is a disciplinary offence and may lead to dismissal from the programme.
Runshaw Apprentices will be offered support and be encouraged to develop the ability to work on their own and as team players. We expect our Apprentices to show enthusiasm and the motivation to reach and exceed their goals.
It is important to maintain time keeping and attendance for both college and work place sessions to ensure learners remain on target.