Beauty Therapy Apprenticeship Level 2
This course is ideal if you have a keen interest in a career in Beauty Therapy. This Level 2 Apprenticeship course is recognised as the industry standard that all beauty therapists are expected to achieve. It covers many specialist roles and is validated by City & Guilds (C&G). Apprentices can also gain experience in a preferred house style throughout the whole training period.
Apprenticeships combine real work and learning. Apprentices earn a wage and gain experience whilst working towards a qualification. You will be employed by a local salon, working a minimum of 30 hours a week.
You will work towards an Apprenticeship Framework at Level 2 in Beauty Therapy consisting of:
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma – Beauty Therapy Including: Facials, Manicure, Pedicure, Waxing, Make-up, Reception duties and Health and Safety
- Functional Skills in maths and English
- Employment Rights & Responsibilities – this module will teach you about contracts of employment and other work related issues
- Personal, learning and thinking skills
In addition to individual certificates, on successful completion of all elements you will be awarded an Apprenticeship Framework Certificate.
You will benefit from working with qualified/ experienced colleagues and have the support of your assessor throughout your training. You will gain a nationally recognised qualification and develop the functional skills that employers want. In addition you will have access to all college facilities, in the same way as full time students.
Apprentices will be required to:
- wear a College uniform (provided by Runshaw College). You should have pride in your appearance, present yourself to the best of your ability and be aware that hairdressing is a fashion and service industry. Hair should be clean, presentable and well styled.
- purchase a black ring binder and dividers to set up your portfolio. Appropriate text books are available for loan from the College library or for purchase.
You will need 4 GCSE passes at grade A*- D including maths and English.
Please note: many employers prefer candidates to have a minimum of GCSE grade C in maths and English.
Apprentices will build a portfolio of evidence containing examples of work-based evidence and observations. This will confirm competence and knowledge. Each Apprentice will be elected a qualified work-based assessor from Runshaw College who will assess their practical skills and competence in the workplace. Following theory input in College, Apprentices will be required to complete assignments and tests.
There will be assignments and exams related to the Key Skills tests if required.
Employers must be prepared to work with their Apprentice to develop their knowledge and skills by providing a wide range of learning and training opportunities. They must also be prepared to allow them to attend College sessions at the agreed times. Employers are also expected to encourage Apprentices to research their chosen vocation and to support any work experience that will benefit the Apprentice.
Dependent on job role and experience, progression could be to:
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Beauty Therapy at Level 3.
- Team Leading or Customer Service Apprenticeship at Level 2.
Runshaw College believes that attendance and punctuality are key factors in the timely success of an Apprenticeship. Apprentices are accepted on the basis that they will have a high level of attendance at College and in the workplace. Persistent or regular absenteeism is a disciplinary offence and may lead to dismissal from the programme.
Runshaw Apprentices will be offered support and be encouraged to develop the ability to work on their own and as team players. We expect our Apprentices to show enthusiasm and the motivation to reach and exceed their goals.
It is important to maintain time keeping and attendance for both college and work place sessions to ensure learners remain on target.