Level 1 Catering (Chef Diploma)
Over a one year course you will develop a range of practical skills and theoretical knowledge in the areas of food preparation and cooking, including food safety and health and safety. You will gain work experience externally and also in the College's award winning Foxholes restaurant. Many students who enjoy and successfully complete this course progress onto the L2 Food and Beverage course or employment in the hospitality industry.
- Course Information
This one year course is designed to focus on technical chef skills and provides students with the opportunity to progress onto Level 2 or move into the industry. Delivered in our award winning kitchens and restaurants, it includes:
- ‘hands on’ experience working in our award winning AA Rosette Foxholes Restaurant
- skills sessions in Pastry, Bakery, Butchery and International Cuisine
- theory sessions in healthy eating, health and safety, equipment and employability skills
- Level 2 Food Safety Certificate
- one week industry placement with our strong employer links
Please note that you will need a full chef’s uniform and recommended books, all of which can be ordered through the college. You will also study English and Maths to help you reach your full potential.
- Equipment Required
You will need a full chef’s uniform and recommended books, all of which can be ordered through the college account which offers a big discount to make the uniform more affordable.
- Entry Requirements
For our pre-Advanced courses our entry requirements are usually a minimum of 4x Grade D/Level 3 including English and Maths.
Please note that any student not achieving a Level 4 in GCSE Maths/English will resit these GCSEs alongside their main college course/s.
Some courses and subjects will have additional specific entry requirements or require DBS clearance to undertake placements. Information about this can be found on the Apply Portal, and on your offer letter which you will receive after your interview.
- How will I be assessed?
- six individual controlled practical tests
- two big practical exams based on both Pastry and Larder
- short answer test papers
- four assignments based around information essential to the industry
These subject areas are delivered by experienced tutors with a passion for the industry.
- Progression Pathway
Successful achievement can lead to study at Level 2, employment, or further training on the Apprenticeship programme.