Level 2 Catering (Professional Food & Beverages)
Over a one year course you will develop a range of practical skills and theoretical knowledge in the areas of food preparation and cooking and food and beverage service. You will gain work experience externally and also through the college's catering facilities. Many students who enjoy and successfully complete their City and Guilds L2 Food and Beverage qualification progress onto the L3 Chef Diploma or employment in the hospitality industry.
- Course Information
This is a two year course with practical and theory sessions, providing an opportunity to develop your knowledge, personal, employability and culinary skills in our Gold Accredited Catering & Hospitality department.
You will also;
- learn how to prepare and cook stocks, soups, sauces, fruit, vegetables, meat, poultry and fish
- develop skills in beverages, cocktails, barista and flambé
- have theory sessions in menu knowledge, planning and costing, and customer care
- take classes to help you prepare for employment and investigate different career opportunities
- have a personalised industry placement with our strong employer links: two weeks in year one and up to four weeks in year two
- Entry Requirements
For our pre-Advanced courses our entry requirements are usually a minimum of 4x Grade D/Level 3 including English and Maths.
Please note that any student not achieving a Level 4 in GCSE Maths/English will resit these GCSEs alongside their main college course/s.
Some courses and subjects will have additional specific entry requirements or require DBS clearance to undertake placements. Information about this can be found on the Apply Portal, and on your offer letter which you will receive after your interview.
- How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed on a continual basis by assignments, short answer questions and practical tests.
- Progression Pathway
On successful completion you will have the opportunity to apply for a higher level course, such as the Hospitality Supervision and Professional Cookery Level 3 or employment within the catering industry. This could be one of a host of opportunities, including hotels, large scale events, outside catering, restaurants, clubs and cocktail bars, cruises or yachts.