Academies and Enhancement
Helping your passion for learning – Academies
At Runshaw, Sixth Form students will have the opportunity to join Academies. Each Academy provides opportunities for students who wish to challenge and stretch themselves and go beyond what is taught in the classroom.
The following are just a few examples of Runshaw’s many Academies:
In the Science Academy, there are many activities to get involved in including:
- designing and launching your own rocket
- you can experience the sights and smells of hands-on Biology
- work towards a nationally recognised science qualification
- present your work at a gala evening
In the Music Academy you can:
- join the Chamber Choir, Big Band or various ensembles: Brass, Clarinet, Saxophone, String
- participate in master classes from visiting musicians: for example, our former student and international opera star, Amanda Roocroft led a master class rehearsal at the college with the Lancashire Sinfonietta.
In the Sports Academy, you can:
- benefit from an individual development programme which includes specialist skills, appraisals, personalised support and mentoring
- keep in peak shape through fitness testing and psychometric assessment
- make use of our outstanding facilities and be part of the top college for Sport in the North West since 2000!
Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
Students with a passion to study a particular topic in great detail can apply to take the Extended Project Qualification alongside their A-level studies. This is equivalent to an AS level qualification and involves researching a topic of interest, preparing a report and presenting findings to a small audience. Each participant is assigned a mentor to guide them through the process of title development, research and write-up.
Each year, a group of our students form a team to enter the ‘Debating Matters’ competition. This is a national competition for sixth form students designed to promote a study of current contentious issues and promote clear arguments and debate.
We have a dedicated Work Placement Unit, which offers opportunities for work experience for all students, taking into account their course commitments. We also support students who find their own work experience placements in their free time.